The Climb Back of Peugeot

If there isn't a fall, how then can there be a climb back? Peugeot fell off the radar, not just in Nigeria alone but overseas, especially in Europe. Historically, we know that the French do not give up easily. We saw this during the great depression, post World War 1 (WW1) and also recently during the World Cup, when France gave Argentina a thorough battle for the trophy which they almost clinched. Thus is the same story for Peugeot, as they make their way back to the forefront of the automotive world.

The first noticeable change from the rebranding of Peugeot is the new logo/badge/car emblem. The Peugeot logo dates back to 1847, which makes it the oldest car emblem in the world. The idea of the lion as a brand’s symbol was born to reflect the company’s activity and strength. The Peugeot logo has had numerous changes during it's history but the lion has remained constant.  The older logo had a "silver lion" outline with the wordmark "PEUGEOT", executed in fine elegant blue lines just beneath the silver lion.

Spot the difference

In 2021 the visual identity of the famous French automaker was completely changed. The new logo is a "roaring image of a black and white flat lion's head" with the wordmark "Peugeot" placed above the head of the brand’s mascot rather than below which was seen in previous designs. The Lion Rampant of the Peugeot emblem represents power and loyalty. Rampant refers to the positioning of the lion — it stands on two hind legs while it’s forelegs are raised, and faces left.

   Peugeot 2021 Lineup

Just like their new car emblem, Peugeot has totally upgraded their lineup. The new car lineup consists of beautifully crafted machines that come with either combustion engines or the more climate friendly electric motors. Buyers can choose between various options and of all the cars in the new Peugeot lineup, the 3008 stands out to me. I first came across the Peugeot 3008 in a magazine back in 2018 and trust me when I say it was love at first site. I even stylishly showed the car to my Dad, pitching the need for a new car but he threatened to use my school fees for the purchase, so I killed the idea. 😂

Peugeot 3008 (2017 - Present)

The 3008 is a Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) that has won more than 30 international awards, including the prestigious European Car of the Year Award. I mean why not? Just look at the beauty in the above image. This particular car did the magic for me and it captured the hearts of many other Peugeot enthusiasts. The 3008 is a front wheel drive car with a 4 cylinder engine that makes about 130 horsepower, which is not a lot but what it lacks in power, it makes up for in beauty and refinement.

Peugeot 3008 Interior

The only problem I have with the 3008 is it's front wheel drive mechanism, because while those abroad can get away with such, we in Nigeria with terrible roads would hate ourselves for not purchasing an all wheel drive SUV. I guess there will eventually be an option for an all wheel drive (AWD) version but in 2023, most SUVs come standard with AWD, so Peugeot has to work on that. One of my friends travelled to Gambia earlier in the year and he was shocked to see the Peugeot 3008 all over the place. I have only seen a handful in Nigeria but with time, they will take over.

Peugeot  E- Legend Concept

My Dad sent me a video of the E-Legend a while back, telling me that I should work hard so I can get it for him as his retirement gift, lol. The E-Legend is a concept car that takes inspiration from Peugeots classic 505 design. The car has all the gadgets expected from a futuristic vehicle but we may never get to drive it because Peugeot says they do not intend on making it. We can only keep our fingers crossed because I personally need one delivered to my Dad in few years.

Peugeot 505 above and the E-Legend below

Peugeot has slowly began to win back the hearts of it's lovers and they will stop at nothing other than being number 1. I will say that they have done well so far because my heart has been captured. What about yours?

Thank you for reading and always remember to Turbo that engine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A NISSAN HAS MY HEART

Nigerian Transporters VS Professional Racers

The SUV Craze