BMW over BENZ

All things being equal, my first car is going to be a BMW M3. I have decided to put this out there, so the universe can work it's magic. I am writing this particular episode out of jealousy, because how can I be a BMW fan boy and I do not have a single piece written on the LOML and yet I keep writing about the rival, Mercedes Benz. I know for a fact that a lot of Benz boys would have been Beamer boys, if not for the so called BMW wahala. Let me tell you something, BMW is not the one with the problem, it is actually Nigeria who has the problem! Before the Benz boys tear my shirt, let me explain myself...

I reiterate, BMW over BENZ

I will now outline 3 major Nigerian factors that are deterring the growth and spread of BMW owners/fans in Nigeria as well as glimmers of hope for the car brand;

1. Lack of Mechanical Know-How

BMW's are known to have always been way ahead of their time when it comes to car technology and this posses a major problem of owning them abroad, let alone in Nigeria. Let me tell you a little story. Back in 2017, my Dad purchased a Volkswagen Touran and it is not a popular car. I mean there were only about 5 in the whole of Asaba at the time. This car was absolutely wonderful and everything was going on fine until it developed a fault. He tried to fix the car in Asaba but the mechanics could not understand the car, in fact they only made things worse. He eventually had to send the car to Lagos before the issue was resolved. After that incident, he had to always send the car to Lagos anytime the car had an issue but it was costing a lot, so my Dad eventually had to let his Touran go.

This was literally my Dad a couple times with his Touran 😂

This is a similar story told by almost every ex-BMW owner because mechanics just don’t understand them. Benz used to have this same short coming but due to high demand, Nigerian mechanics were forced to learn the Benz way just so they could keep up with the market.

Glimmer of Hope

Cars in general are becoming less mechanical and more electrical. Hence, Nigerian mechanics are being compelled to move with the times. Thanks to YouTube walk throughs and tutorials, computer savvy motor electricians can educate themselves by watching videos of cars fixed with similar problems. I am very happy because I see more BMW's on the road lately and the more cars, the better the mechanics can familiarize themselves with newer models.

BMW Electrician Doings

2. Use of Plastics in BMW’s

BMW is infamously known for using quite a lot of plastics in their cars but it is not because they are trying to be cheap. They use plastics for two valid reasons which include;
a. BMW cars are geared towards performance than luxury. So plastics are used extensively in order to save weight and increase power for better performance.
b. These cars are produced abroad where the temperature is optimum and hence there is no problem with using plastics.
But in Naija where the sun is scorching, the already hot engine bay is still receiving external shege from the sun and thus, plastic parts tend to fail.

BMW Overheating

Glimmer of Hope

Thank God for technology and science, plastics are being made with compounds that are more resistant to heat, so in a few years this issue would be a thing of the past. Beamer boys will finally be able to rule the roads of Nigeria.

BMW Club in Lagos, Nigeria

3. High Cost of Maintenance of BMW's in Nigeria 

This one is true but it is also not BMW's fault. Toyota's are cheap to maintain in Nigeria because they are literally everywhere. The more popular a car is, the more available the parts will be. But for a BMW owner, you might be the only one with that model year in your whole city, so if anything is wrong with your car or you need a part, you are most definitely importing the needed part(s) which takes time and money. This is not rocket science people, the more BMW cars we have, the cheaper maintenance will eventually become.

The More, The Merrier

I hope with these few points of mine, I have been able to convince and not confuse you that Nigeria is the problem and not BMW. I believe that the future of BMW in Nigeria is bright and when the time comes, I will lead the movement with my BMW M3. 

Thank you for reading and always remember to Turbo that engine!

Comments

wisdom said…
Your starting line sef don kill am. I'm eyeing a 3 series too, though not an M3. Preferably the E90 328i or 335i
Unknown said…
This country needs Bmws that can handle rugged terrains tho
Oouuooo! The E90 is a good pick. I watched a video recently and they actually praised the E90 for being Nigeria friendly. My Oga and the moves! I go drive your car kpa
If you want a BMW for rough terrain, then get an BMW SUV! They are capable and look good doing it

Popular Posts